Better than Tape or Staples: Using Hot Melt for Packaging Applications
Hot melt is often the perfect choice for packaging applications. Whether being dispensed by gun or bulk system, it forms a stronger, more flexible, and less expensive bond than carton sealing tape. It also do not have any adverse chemical effect on the substrates being packed, unlike solvent based adhesives. Moreover, by using hot melt, box printed graphics are not covered up with tape or staples.
The most common packaging project is case sealing. Priddy Sales offers a multitude of gluing options for small or large boxes as well as low temperature formulations for sensitive materials. For coated boxes, the stronger bonding Surebonder 735 gets the job done!
Another overlooked application is the building of point-of-sale and point-of-purchase displays. Tecbond 214 is the industry standard providing a fast and economical solution.
For large volume production projects we recommend using a spray grade hot melt. The Tecbond Spraytec line has options for specialty packaging, pallet stabilization, protective foams, and wrap around cartons.
Some other benefits:
- Less expensive and faster to apply than box/case sealing tape
- Offers a tamper-proof seal for extra product security
- Available in a wide variety of bond times and strengths
- Lower temperature options for delicate or expensive items
- Indefinite shelf life; use it when you need it
For years, short run (under 100,000) 4-color process labels HAD to be flexo press printed which required expensive dies and plates. The future is here with digital press printing technology! With quantities as low as 100 labels, shorter lead-times, and no plates or dies; you will save BIG.
Digital printing allows for ANY shaped label up to 8.7” wide with an unlimited amount of colors. That means any shape, no matter how complicated, can be produced literally at the speed of light by laser-cutting the labels; even with perforations. In addition, multiple SKU or versions of the same label can be piggybacked to take advantage of volume pricing.
Do you have a new label project but don’t where to start? Our trained staff are here to guide you through the entire label design process. From label and adhesive material selection, to optional artwork design assistance, and free digital proofs, we make the process easy!
Some examples of digital print jobs are:
- High Color Labels
- Short to Medium Runs
- Unique Shapes
- Test Production Runs
- Durable Labels
- Promotional Labels
The Zebra P-series and Intermec PB-series mobile printers are typically clipped to the user’s hip; providing a good portable direct thermal or thermal transfer printing solution. What is commonly overlooked is the exorbitant cost of consumables? Based on a recent query we found companies paying 10 TIMES more for the exact same labels and ribbons vs. a desktop label printer.
For warehouse applications where the user is labeling boxes for a cart or pallet, there is a better alternative! The small footprint CAB EOS1 and EOS4 have an optional battery pack to print up to 1000 shipping or ID labels per two hour charge. The REAL SAVINGS comes from these printers using industry standard 3” core labels and 1” core ribbons.
The printing process can be accomplished by doing the following :
- Loading the label formats into the printer and selecting the label/quantity from the screen.
- Plugging in a user pre-loaded USB key with the label formats
- Sending the print jobs via WLAN or Bluetooth
- Plugging in a USB barcode scanner to select and print the label from a work order.
Some of the other benefits of these printers over the “typical” mobile printers are:
- Much faster printing speeds (up to 5” per second)
- Optional USB connected accessories: barcode scanner or keyboard
- All wear or replacement parts are easily installed in the field.
Congratulations on the new venture or product endeavor! Whether your market is food, beverage, cosmetic, medical, or durable goods product packaging is important. A differentiating look on the shelf could be just what you need to increase exposure and sales. However it can also sometimes spell disaster for medium to large volume production labeling.
That odd shaped bottle that looks so cool might become an expensive albatross to label. Before finalizing your bottle choice, we recommend that you contact us first. A single small detail could be have a $5,000 – $50,000 difference in equipment pricing. Our trained staff are here to be a guide and offer prompt no obligation labeling system quotes.
Below are examples of products that traditionally require more expensive labeling solutions:
1.Crescent shaped labels on tapered containers
2.Any compound surface containers
3.Poor quality plastic or glass containers
4.Clear labels on translucent containers
In a world with a multitude of 1D barcode scanner options, the Sato AI-6800 “Eagle Eye” stands above. At only $91.50 each, this linear CCD scanner is built for retail, pharmacy, healthcare, warehouse, inventory, logistics, and manufacturing applications.
Some of its class leading features are:
- 6′ USB connection cable
- A 3-year warranty with 6′ drop resistance.
- A bright aimer with excellent scan accuracy for 3 mil or larger bar codes.
- The ability to read all 1D barcode symbologies up to 700 scans/sec
- 6′ USB cable to “plug-and-play” with many hardware and operating systems when used as a keyboard wedge or USB Virtual COM.
- A tough IP65 seal with cold weather performance down to -4 degrees F.
- Create a custom data stream using the Data Magic software; affording full control over the scanner’s processing ability to read all scanned data, but output only what data is needed.
- Read barcodes in direct sunlight or down to a 15% contrast level.
- Optional stand for hands-free scanning.
The demand for wireless rechargeable tools has been steadily increasing for years. Whether the application is manufacturing, construction, auto-body repairs, or small hobby projects, the Power Adhesives B-TEC 807 delivers!
Using a RYOBI 18V 1.5Ah lithium+ power tool system, this glue gun heats up in 3 minutes and can be fully recharged in just 60 minutes. The onboard 4-stage gauge indicates to the user how much battery life is left. The tool also uses industry standard 7/16” (12mm) diameter sticks and can output up to 4 lbs. per hour. Other features include a constant 380 degree F temperature, narrow profile with extension nozzle, soft fatigue reducing grip, and a 1 year warranty.
The B-Tec 807 can be purchased as a complete kit, by itself, or with just the carrying case.